I just got back from a quick vacation in Mexico. I don’t usually stay on resorts, but my wife and I have been working hard and we just wanted to relax and recharge. We ended up staying on a massive resort in Riviera Maya, it was actually 5 resorts in 1. (not bragging, just setting up this e-mail).
While I was there on the beach, I was thinking about how grateful I was and it reminded me of what I often tell people who want to live a life that is freer and less stressed. “You Have To Live Your Life a Little Like You’re on Vacation If You Want Less Stress and More Peace and Calm In Your Life”
I decided to write a blog post about it.
I have said this many times to people who are feeling stuck, overwhelmed stressed. I share this with people who want more peace and calm in their lives. Maybe you are overworked, maybe your job is draining you and stealing your energy, maybe you are stressed because of all of the responsibilities and hats you have to wear. Maybe you are seeking more clarity in your life.
I know I use to feel that way. I use to stress over things that were out of my control. I use to be closed off, I didn’t want to step outside of my comfort zone felt lost and stuck and I knew I didn’t want to feel this way. I use to wish I was on vacation. Then it hit me…Why don’t I start living my life a little like I am on vacation.
It helped me to shift my life in a major way. Things changed. I was less stressed, I was more calm, more at peace, and I was attracting amazing opportunities in people in my life. So what was it that helped?
Here are the tips to live your life a little like you’re on vacation:
1. Exercise gratitude. When you are on vacation you most likely wake up at some point and think about how grateful you are to be on vacation. You appreciate that you are not working and that you have left your stresses behind you. In life, you have to incorporate gratitude into your daily routine. TRY waking up every morning and writing down 3-5 things that you are grateful for. You can keep a gratitude journal and write down different things every day or even the same things every day. Starting your day with gratitude helps you to release stress, create more peace in your life and sets up your day for success.
2. Take time to reflect. Often when you are on vacation you take time to reflect. You lay back in your beach chair while you are sipping a margarita and you take some time to think about your life. If you’re like me you think about how you can be on vacation more often. Or maybe you think about doing what you really love for a living. It is when you are on vacation that you start thinking about what you want in your life and what’s important. This is something you need to do regularly, you must spend time knowing your W.I.Ns: What’s Important Now and what you really want. Most people are feeling lost in life because they don’t know what they want in all areas of their lives. Spend time thinking about what you want and don’t want in your life 3 or 4 times each year then make plans to make it happen!
3. Have conversations with strangers. I know growing up your mamma told you NOT to talk to strangers, well guess what? She was right! Kinda. Of course, when you are on vacation you have to be careful about speaking to strangers because sometimes people are more interested in scamming you or harming you than getting to know you are providing you with information on the city you are visiting. HOWEVER, if you are on a resort or roaming a city and there do not appear to be any risks, spark up conversations with strangers. It’s amazing what you can learn about yourself from having random conversations. It opens you up to new ideas, different perspectives, informs you about other places to visit or warns you about tourists traps. In your life how often do you speak to strangers? When you are standing in line at Starbucks to you say “Hi” to the person in front or behind you? Maybe that person can land you your dream job, or give you advice, or become a friend, or could end up being your life partner. Don’t be afraid to connect with people outside of your inner circle, that is how you get exposed to new things, potential opportunities and make new friends.
4. Appreciate the little things. I don’t know about you but when I am on vacation doesn’t everything look so much more amazing! The flowers that you see, the beach, the sky, the bananas taste better. ha-ha. You appreciate everything so much more. This is similar to gratitude but a little different. Its about appreciating little things in your life to attract bigger things. When your commute time is reduced by 10 minutes, when you get a free coffee, when someone gives you a compliment, when your flowers bloom in your garden. Focus on the small wins the small things and you will notice bigger blessings coming your way.
5. Don’t stress over things out of your control. This is a big one for so many people. Maybe it is you. Maybe your job is stressing you out because you are overworked, underpaid and unappreciated at your job. Or maybe you are often stressed because you are running late some days, or because bills are piling up, maybe your weight has you down.Whatever you are stressed about, it all seems to disappear while you are on vacation, just for a little while. You don’t stress about being late when you are on vacation (for the most part), you take things as they come. You move at a different pace. You realize that some things are out of you to control and you roll with it. In life, you have to do the same. You have to understand some things are out of your control and you have to roll with it. The things you can control such as being late for work or meetings, you can change but prepare and allowing yourself more time. Either way, when you can release the stress it allows you to accept the situation or find a solution
6. Try new things. How many times have you tried something new while you were on vacation? How many times have you stepped outside of your comfort zone? I know I have many times. Whether it was diving 150 feet into a cave, or hiking up in the Andes Mountains, or doing a fire limbo in Thailand, I have definitely pushed the limits while I was on vacation. So what about in your everyday life? Do you get uncomfortable? Do you do some things different? Try new activities? Eat different foods? The key to really having the life you want? To stepping into your greatness, living your best life is stepping outside of your comfort zone. That is where real change happens. If you want things to change in your life, get uncomfortable and try something new.
7. Wake up early and seize the day. When I am on vacation sometimes I think about sleeping in and waking up later in the day…It almost never happens! I can’t wait to wake up and explore, start the day, see what the day will bring and enjoy my time in whatever city or country I am visiting. I love to get going on my day as early as I can because I realize my time is limited. The same can be said for your life. Your time is limited. You have so many things that you want to achieve, you have big dreams, you want more clarity, you want to unlock your true purpose and do what you love for a living. Successful people wake up early. In waking up early you need to develop a morning ritual that consists of activities that will create peace and calm, increase your health and set up your day, week, month, year and life for success.
8. Get Moving. This is aligned with waking up early, but I need to be specific. When you are on vacation there are times that you may laze around and do nothing, but you also become an explorer. You may be walking around a resort, or checking out the city, or doing various excursions or activities, or maybe you even find a place to exercise. The key in life is to get moving every day, as early as possible. Exercising in the morning gets the brain flowing, it’s great for your physical, mental and spiritual health.
These are a few things to incorporate into your life every day that will help you reduce stress, create more peace and calm and open new opportunities. What other things do you do on vacation that you think people should incorporate into their daily lives? Let me know.
Here’s to living life a little like you’re on vacation.
I truly believe this..
There’s something special about you, find out what it is and live it out loud!
Let me know your thoughts on this post. Leave a comment below and let me know if I am missing anything.
I want to hear from you.
Sharing is caring