I was recently on Instagram and I came across a few people talking about the “fourth quarter”, about how to finish strong. They weren’t talking about sports though. For those of you who don’t follow sports, let me break down what they term means in sports, then I will let you know what it means for you in your life.
The fourth quarter in sports usually refers to coming to the end of a football, basketball or other sports game. Most sports are divided up into 4 equal quarters or times slots and the teams play the first second, third, and fourth quarters. In basketball, for instance, they play four 12 minute quarters. Anyone who watches the NBA knows that usually no matter what happens in the game, the fourth quarter is the most important. A team that is losing by alot can come back and win. Some of the greatest moments in sports history were played in the fourth quarter by legends, people who are known as the greatest of all time.
Now, what do sports and fourth quarters have to do with you? I’m glad you asked (smile). Right now, we are in the fourth quarter of the year. We are in the final stretch of 2018! We have a few months left and then we are on to 2019. The question for you is, How are you going to finish this year? Are you going to just ride out the rest of the year like you are riding out your times at your job you don’t want to be at? Are you going to coast to the end of the year like you maybe coasting you are in your romantic relationship? Or did you give up on your goals and now you are thinking you will restart in 2019? I’m not judging only asking the question. I know I have not ended strong in previous fourth quarters of the year in my life. However, if you do have some major goals, if you do have bigger dreams and aspirations for your life or for your family, maybe you want to consider finishing this year strong and building momentum for next year. Or, even accomplishing a major goal before the end of the year. If you want to finish strong, let me give you a few tips that will help.
Here are 5 tips to help you finish this fourth quarter strong and achieve your goals:
1. Re-visit the goals that you set at the beginning of the year. Be honest with yourself, are you still on track to achieve them? Did you fall off track? Are you still working on them? One of the biggest reasons that successful people achieve extraordinary things is because they re-visit their goals and they are honest about where they are with them.
2. Are your goals still relevant, important, or meaningful? Sometimes we set goals and we need to ask ourselves months later if they have changed, or if they are still meaningful and worth pursuing. Do you still want to accomplish these goals and are they still worth your efforts?
3. Get the support that you need. Maybe you fell off with your goals become you were overwhelmed, frustrated with your lack of progress, or you just had too many goals. It is possible that you need support, someone or some people that can help you get re-focused. Maybe you need to talk to a family member or friends that you trust and you know is supportive and to hold you accountable. Or you can look for motivation and guidance in online groups on Facebook, LinkedIn or Google. Or maybe it’s time for you to get a coach. Someone who is trained in helping people get results. Think about it and if you need help, reach out to someone.
4. Get back into action and do the most important thing first every day. I have said this many times and I will say it again, you don’t have to believe your goals and dreams are possible you just have to get started or continue. Progress=Belief. The more progress you make on major goals in your life, the more you believe success is possible and the more you believe in yourself. To finish the year strong and make progress on your goals is to do the most important task every day as soon as you can.
5. Keep going! I know how difficult it can be to keep going on your goals. I have struggled to stay motivated and to keep going on so many of my major goals and I still struggle to find the motive-action (motivation to take action) to keep going. You have to find it in yourself to make your reasons why bigger than your excuses. Think about what finishing this year strong will do for you moving forward in your life. Think about the reason you got started on your goals, think about the momentum you will have going into 2019, and think about creating a better life for you and your family.
I know it is difficult to achieve your goals. So many things get in the way. We are in the fourth quarter and the year is almost over and you may not be where you want to be, but don’t quit. Keep going. Step up and finish this year strong and you will be surprised at what you can accomplish in the next few months. If you need some more guidance, grab a copy of my revised book, You Have the Keys, Now Drive. In the book, I lay out 5 keys and 5 habits to personal change. I teach you how to start each day with a morning ritual that sets you up for success. I share a powerful, simple goal plan that has helped my clients and I achieved goals faster than we thought possible. You can get the book on Amazon.com or Amazon.ca get your copy today.
I know you can finish this fourth quarter strong and I know that your goals and dreams are possible. I believe in you. If you want more out of life and you have bigger goals and dreams, finish strong and keep going!
Danny, Your Mindset Coach
Danny Stone is a Speaker, Mindset Coach and Author of the best-selling book, You Have The Keys, Now Drive. For more than 15 years he has been helping people get more clarity, take massive action, and create the lives they want. He’s helped countless individuals move from the passenger seat to become the drivers of their lives. If you are struggling in your life or business and want more success and happiness, contact Danny to set up your Free Clarity Call.
LET’S CONNECT ON SOCIAL MEDIA